Animal ownership

Dogs and cats over 3 months of age are to be registered with Council. Registration is renewed each year.

It is your responsibility to control your animals (big and small), so check your fencing regularly and particularly after storms as trees falling on fences is common.

Owners of farm animals or more than 100 poultry need to apply for a Livestock Property Identification Code (PIC). The PIC allows authorities to trace animals in the event of serious disease outbreak.

If you plan to sell animals through the livestock exchange (sale yards), you will need a PIC to sell or move stock.  Further details can be found at:


Country LivingMark Jesser